The #1 Reason Synthetic Grass is Purchased
The answer for why homeowners and organizations purchase synthetic grass or artificial turf, can be given in several one-word responses, in most cases. Like everything in life, it seems some things can be reduced to a one word reply as to why; we have done something, started something, why we completed something, or why we’ve made a certain decision. The reasoning behind these decisions can be very involved and maybe even a little convoluted particularly for big life decisions. Turf usually does not qualify as that type of decision. Yet purchasing synthetic grass and selecting a high-quality installer still requires your time to think it through, since there are several product options available and it may not necessarily be a very large expense, but a quality synthetic grass installation isn’t inexpensive either. Like most homeowners and organizations, we think to use a one-word description, you just want it done, “right”. This likely means; the right synthetic grass, the right, installation, the right price, the right communication & customer service, the right warranty, etc.
Hope you don’t mind this post will meander some before providing an explanation and answer as to what, in our opinion is the #1 reason for choosing synthetic grass by homeowners and organizations. As you’ve probably ascertained already the purpose of this article is our humble attempt to educate you or a least have you consider some of the reasons homeowners and organizations purchase and install synthetic grass.
Solid Reasons for Choosing Synthetic Grass
As you might imagine, depending on the organization, homeowner and their yard and family situation, or how the turf will be used, the reasons for selecting synthetic grass below may actually be the #1 reason for the individual homeowners and organizations too. Of course, it could very well be the case also that it is a combination of reasons that lead the purchaser to select synthetic grass.
- Water Conservation – the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates over one-third of residential water is used for lawn irrigation, this is about 4 billion gallons of water a day, nationwide. The Synthetic Turf Council (STC) estimate is every square foot synthetic turf saves 55 gallons of water per year. So, an average lawn of 1,800 square feet will save 99,000 gallons of water. See this STC article for details, Synthetic Turf Conserves More Than Three Billion Gallons of Water and Helps the Environment
- For commercial applications consider, “In Las Vegas, where water conservation is a critical need, premier locations such as the Wynn Hotel, the Bellagio, Venetian and Caesars Palace now feature synthetic grass. Last year, the Wynn Hotel alone saved 143,748,000 gallons of water formerly used for landscaping.”
- Lower Water Bill – from significant water conservation.
- Save Money – landscaper(s) for the Synthetic Grass – no longer required.
- No Pesticides / No Fertilizers – not required, saves money and reduces ground pollution.
- No More; Lawn Diseases, Weeds, Pests, Rodents, & Muddy Puddles – good looking grass year-round without insects & critters! Just have to mention – no dead spots.
- Synthetic Grass looks gorgeous compared to; Decomposed Granite (DG), Decorative Rock, and Desert Landscaping (most) and it is functional meaning kids (and adults) can play on it.
- Financial – synthetic grass can return the initial investment in about four years or less depending on the region of the country.
The #1 Reason Why Synthetic Grass is Installed
As mentioned above the basis for purchasing grass for everyone we’ve sold and installed turf for may not be the reason you might make the decision. So, the answer here is an informed opinion and based on our experience and not a formal scientific survey with our customer base or from the industry itself. Nevertheless, we have been in the industry for some time now and have met with and sold turf to many people and organizations.
Initially our primary focus in explaining the benefits of synthetic were all about Water Conservation due to the various droughts we’re seem to perpetually be in. This resonated well with many homeowners and organizations. These synthetic grass customers were very aware that they were taking an active part in the green economy and involved in sustainable development – being “green” is a good thing.
Over time we had several experiences selling synthetic grass to people in Oregon and Washington. Initially puzzled because natural sod grows easily in those climes. We listened carefully and soon learned that some homeowners were tired of having to care for their lawns. We also researched and learned a few things too from these customers as well as those in Southern California.
- Homeowners spend an average of 2.8 hours weekly on lawn maintenance
- Those with pets were tired of them tracking in mud and other yard debris
- Some folks had replaced their natural sod 3 and even 4 times
- Out of options – a hotel considered painting the grass green and didn’t feel good about that option
- The expense for water was becoming a burden for some
- People became tired of looking at the same brown spots and the many efforts made to try and make it look nice
- As mentioned above pesticides was a concern for some
In short, in our experience the paramount reason (but of course not the only reason) people make the decision to purchase synthetic grass is to avoid and eliminate the time and expense to care for the lawn. So, in other words, there’s a certain amount of freedom that comes along with a high-quality synthetic turf installation. This is true for residential as well as commercial applications.
The answer or word we’d put on it is simply MAINTENANCE or better yet the phrase Virtually Maintenance Free, this is the #1 reason, in our experience homeowners and organizations have synthetic grass installed. There are some things to do to maintain synthetic grass of course but very little.
If you’d like to know more about how to maintain synthetic grass (not much to do) we’d be happy to email a FREE copy of our Lawn Kings – Synthetic Turf Maintenance & Care, guide. We also offer FREE ESTIMATES.